08 February 2015

Canadian Ships on Stamps

The theme for today's Sunday Stamps-II is Ships, Boats. Here some Canadian stamps I have got recently (some of them without any postmark!).



Floating Adrift is the title of this stamp created by seven-year-old Ezra Peters from Whitelaw, Alberta. She won an art competition for young people 15-years-old and under in search of the annual stamp for the Canada Post Community FoundationThe 10-cent surcharge of each stamp is a direct donation to this Foundation. The stamp was issued on 30 September, 2013.




This was issued on 4 May, 2010 to commemorate the Canadian Navy's Centennial. I would like to receive the other one from the set...



Issued on 13 June, 2014. This stamp arrived on a Halloween package, along with other terrifying designs dedicated to ghost stories. This burning ship often spotted between New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island. As would-be rescuers approach, the ship disappears into the mist... 



The Empress of Ireland sank in on 29 May, 1914, just two years after the Titanic, killing more than 1,000 people. The stamps was issued the same day 100 years later. I visited the memorial and the museum in Pointe-au-Père, where I learnt the whole story.



And last but not least, I must confess I was impressed when I got this stamp on the back of a postcard. It was issued on 2 April, 2012 to commemorate the 100th Anniversary of the tragic sinking of the Titanic. The stamp is very long (84 x 31 mm), so you really can feel the size of the ship. Also the map on the background is wonderful.

14 comments:

  1. To see a burning ship coming out of the mist must be disconcerting to say the least. I read that that is the Niobe on the Canadian naval stamp, it was built in my home town in the north west of England, we even have a street named after it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An impressive group of stamps. I particularly like 'Floating Adrift' and the haunted ship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Those two stamps are very original. Also the Titanic one, due its size.

      Delete
  3. A titanic stamp for the Titanic, but the burning ghost ship takes the prize for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, that burning ship is pretty neat, isn't it?! I hadn't seen the Cdn Navy ones - but I'll keep my eye out for the other one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great selection, love the Empress of Ireland and the Titanic stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know anything about Empress of Ireland. I like the angle of which is pictured the ship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great story that deserves a beautiful stamp like this.

      Delete
  7. I particularly like the stamp based on the child's painting. I see these and wonder why even now I can't produce any thing like that. It's the little fish jumping out of the sea that makes it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't a painting, it's made of plasticine! I'm sure you can produce something like that... :D

      Delete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.