20 December 2015

Stained-Glass Windows on Christmas Stamps


Stamps issued on November 1, 2011 by Canada Post. 

This set of three Christmas commemorative stamps showcases scenes from the magnificent stained-glass windows of the Cathedral of Saint Mary of the Immaculate Conception in Kingston, Ontario, which was built nearly a century and a half ago. The windows were originally imported from England. I love stained-glass windows!



This is a post for Sunday Stamps- II: Christmas Stamps (religious). The only other received Christmas stamps that could be considered religious is this, from the UK:


It belongs to the 2015 Christmas collection, designed by David Holmes of Studio David Hillman to illustrate the traditional Nativity story (more information about this issue).

I am not a big fan of Christmas stamps (nor of Christmas in general), but the fact that the Christmas stamps are nor really Christmassy astonishes me.  It seems that Royal Mail alternates: one year religious, one year secular stamps. In Spain, the A-rate (within the country) depicts a religious scene, and the B-rate (Europe) is usually related to the New Year. See,for instance, the Christmas stamps of 2015, 2014-A and 2014-B, etc. In the Netherlands they are more appropriately called December stamps... How is it in your country?

12 comments:

  1. I love the UK set, really unusual interpretation of traditional themes, the watercolors are stunning.

    Here in the US there is a wide variety, ranging from winter themes (W), secular Christmas (S), and religious (R). There is no set standard as to how they are issued.

    The post office has had some criticism in some quarters for not issuing a religious-themed stamp this year, however there are a lot of stamps with this theme still available.

    This year there were two issues - A Charley Brown Christmas (S) and Geometric Snowflakes (W).

    Still available from last year: Christmas Magi (R).

    From 2013: Holy Family (R) (reprint), Global Wreath Silver Bells (W) (international rate), Virgin and Child by Jan Gossaert (R), Gingerbread Houses (W), Poinsettia (W).

    From 2012: Holy Family (R), Global Wreath (W) (International).

    And from 2011: Holiday Baubles (S), Madonna of the Candelabra (R).

    I don't see how anyone can complain about this selection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People complain constantly, don't them? In the USA there is a wide choice. I'd like there were more stamps available in Spain. It's almost impossible to buy stamps from last year.

      Delete
  2. (Ok, trying again...comment just disappeared).

    Personally, I like the angel with the halo and wings. After three weeks in Spain my interest in icons and angels has been renewed -- strictly on an artistic level.

    (FinnBadger - the folks complaining about no religious Xmas stamp are likely the same ones who are complaining Starbucks only has a red cup this year with no Xmas tree.....oh my god.....)

    EVA--Please send me your email in a comment to my blog so I can send you my address and we can trade mail. I won't publish the comment so your email will stay private (Cappuccino&Art blog). Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your comment about people complaining :)

      Have you found a lot of angels in Spain!?

      (I've just sent you an e-mail. Sorry for not answering sooner, I'm on holidays!)

      Delete
  3. We have both secular and religious stamps every year - though the secular ones are for domestic, US and international rates, whereas the religious ones are only for domestic. We've had the stained glass windows for a few years - which are an improvement on the previous one (in my opinion!).
    I've added your post to the link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for adding the link, I hadn't access to the Internet on Sunday :D

      Delete
  4. I'm a fan of stained glass windows what ever the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've saved a lot of cancelled stamps over the years to use in collage and there are so many Christmas religious stamps. I use those to make Christmas cards for my friends who are Christmas-y religious. I am not. How anyone can complain, however, about the selection offered in the USA, is amazing. Yes, Pamela Gerard, you are correct about the complainers. I'm enjoying your posts, Eva.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think is a good idea to make new mail art with Christmas stamps. I'll try!

      I also try not to send Christmas stamps to friends who don't celebrate Christmas; but sometimes I just don't know. And... people who get offended by a stamp? Not real snail mail lovers!

      Thanks for coming and commenting, Mim. I'm glad you enjoy the posts.

      Delete
  6. I like the close up detail of the Canada p stamp. Angels and stained glass, always a winning combination. In theory in the UK you can buy religious stamps in the secular year and secular in a religious year from previous issues but it depends how stamp aware the local PO is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Canadian stamp is wonderful.
      I'd prefer I have more choice, but here also, in small post offices, you don't have the choice.

      Delete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.