05 November 2016

Chip Butties and More Food of the World

Today's theme is Postcards for the Weekend is Foods of the world. So I wanted to share a postcard with a recipe (if you can say so) sent by Laura (the UK):


Chip Butties - The easy way!. No more struggles with complicated recipes! 
1. Put two pieces of white bread on a plate, if a plate isn't available use a clean worktop.
2. Spread plenty of real butter on both pieces of bread, no using healthy margarine.
3. Place a big pile of hot chips on your bread.
4 Add ketchup or brown sauce to taste, also lots of salt and pepper.
5. Complete the sandwich by putting the top piece of bread over the chips - magnificent.
Impress your friends it's easy!  

And more British humour, form the famous collection of postcards by Martyn Ford and Peter Legon: How to Be British, also sent by Laura:


Get around in English. Lesson sixteen: How to complain
He: The meat is as tough as old books. How's your fish?
She: It tastes off. And these vegetables are cold.
He: This wine is awful... I asked for dry and they've given us sweet!
She: And look, there's a worm in my side-salad...
Waiter: How is your meal? Is everything all right?
He: Oh, yes, it's all lovely!
She: Excellent, thank you!

And let me share another postcard that fits in the theme. A picture by Harry Gruyaert: Restaurant in Paris, France, 1981.  But it was sent from the United Kingdom, and they serve food from Tunisia...

17 comments:

  1. I love the chip butties card! My younger sister used to make something similar but with mashed potatoes and lots of ketchup so the card brings a big smile to my face. The lesson on how to be English is quite true too I think!

    Great cards, thanks for showing them off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen. I love these cards, too, they made me smile when arrived in my mailbox :)

      Delete
  2. I never heard of chips butties before! I should make them one day, sure they will be popular in my house (the kids complain that I always buy wholemeal bread, so finally they have a good reason - this postcard - to have me take white bread :-) )

    Love the English humour cards, and this one is new to me. Great!

    Love the world-citizen-ship of the third card :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Morocco, when you order a sandwich, they have all the ingredients displayed on the bar and you choose: put this, and this... The first times I ate here, as I didn't know the names in Arabic, I just said: "Put a bit of everything". I was rather surprised to discover they put chips between the slices of bread. It has never occurred to me before!

      Delete
  3. The hight of British cuisine LOL. Don't forget at the end to squash the two pieces of bread together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Recipe straight from the dietician :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not exactly healthy (neither exactly a recipe...):D

      Delete
  5. I also haven't heard of chip butties before! I didn't know there can be "fake butter" ... This is an interesting way to eat chips. Thanks for sharing. The other two are also equally interesting; I think I might have seen one or two of the "How to be British" cards when I traveled to London 4 years ago. The last card, linking together 3 countries is sooo international!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tunisian food eaten in France: a postcard bought in the United Kingdom, sent to Morocco, exchanged between Spanish women... 5 countries!

      Delete
  6. I am glad that the postcards are so popular. I understand there is a version of chip butties made with fish fingers instead.
    Last time I bought "How to be British" postcards, the shop owner informed me that he was the only one selling them in my city, and he gave me one for free!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool! I bet you are the best customer... :D

      Delete
    2. It´s an odd shop. His business is mostly in framing, but he sells some cards and postcards, including vintage photos of Hollywood actors and actresses, for some reason.

      Delete
  7. Hi Eva, I got some great smiles from these cards. Your cards are excellent for the link up too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John . Your comments are always nice ot read :)

      Delete
  8. I haven't had a chip buttie in over 2 decades... but now I want one (although my cholesterol says I shouldn't).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The surprise is to read that you have eaten chip butties! :P

      Delete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.