23 July 2017

I Want to Visit This Museum


Bronze statue of Poseidon found in the sea to the east of Livadostra Bay, Boeotia, dated around 480 BC. The eyes were inlaid in a different material. Poseidon, as master of the seas, was primarily worshipped at seaside locations. To the left, the name of the god is written in Linear B script, as it appears on the clay tablets from the Mycenaean palace of Pylos, dated around 1200 BC. 

This is one of the 6-stamps set that Hellenic Post dedicates to the 150 years of the National Archaeological Museum, the oldest museum in the country, the largest archaeological museum of Greek territory and one of the most important in the world.

The blue and the golden of the stamp are far better in person. I would like to see the rest, and also the museum itself. So I chose it for today's Sunday Stamps - II's theme: A place or building you want to see.

A mail adventure as a bonus: I received it by snail mail, but not directly from Greece (via the USA).

-----
Update Aug. 2017: Visited!!

9 comments:

  1. This was an unexpected one today ;)

    I agree, hard to appreciate the gold foil on the stamp in an image.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you would expect this one, on the contrary.

      Delete
  2. Well, here is a museum I knew nothing about until now. thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. The choice was difficult today. There are hundreds of stamps featuring places that I'd like to visit.

      Delete
  3. Museums, if given a chance,I could just stay inside one and learned everything about each exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't there any museum around your place?

      Delete
  4. Love a museum and this one would be fascinating although Greece's rich past means wherever one is in the country there is always something amazing to see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Crete is the nearest I have been to Greece. Definitely a must see place - althought I have left it a bit late now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.