20 January 2018

Galle Fort Lighthouse

Today's theme of Maria's link Postcards for the Weekend is Aerial Views, and I think this postcard sent by Ravindra (Sri Lanka) fits in.


It shows Galle Fort, built first in 1588 by the Portuguese, then then fortified by the Dutch from 1649 onwards. It is a historical, archaeological and architectural heritage monument. It has been inscribed as a cultural heritage UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Have you spotted the Galle Lighthouse tower on the postcard?



When I received the postcard above, I remember that Ravindra sent this one some years ago, and I never uploaded it to the blog. It is a better view of Sri Lanka's oldest light station, dated from 1848 (But the current tower is the third one, erected in 1939).

8 comments:

  1. Wow, thank you for sharing these postcards from Sri Lanka. It's so cool that we have a closer look at the lighthouse on the second postcard. Lighthouses is one of my favorite theme. Sri Lanka is a country that my partner and I have always discussed about visiting. But until now, we've never been! The flights to Sri Lanka are pretty expensive, considering that quite a number of airlines actually fly there from Singapore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must say that Sri Lanka has never been among my travel destinations list. Maybe it's too far away. But, of course, I wouldn't mind visiting that country. From the postcards I've seen, it is very beautiful.

      Delete
  2. I learned from this Dutch part of history for the very first time thanks to Ravindra, who also sent to me a postcard like this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had to enlarge to find the lighthouse - but now I see it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like a very orderly layout for this town/fort.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.