23 August 2026

Sunday Stamps | Geological Formations

Basalt Island or Fo Shek Chau (火石洲) is an island of Hong Kong. Notably, despite its name is “Basalt Island”, the rocks that forms the island are indeed rhyolitic tuff.

The Grand Bénare is a volcanic peak on the island of Réunion, located in the western part of the island. It is the third highest peak on the island. Its name is believed to come from the Malagasy word Benara meaning 'where it is very cold.'

The Coves del Drac ('Dragon caves') are four great caves that are located in the island of Mallorca, extending to a depth of 25 m and reaching approximately 2.4 km in length. They were first mentioned in a letter dated 1338. The four caves, called Black Cave, White Cave, Cave of Luis Salvador, and Cave of the French, are connected to each other.

Les Gorges du Verdon (Verdon Gorge) is a canyon carved by the Verdon River, separating the Prealps of Castellane and the Prealps of Digne, in France.


Today's theme in Sunday Stamps is Geology.

11 comments:

  1. All beautiful. Each stamp is a small window into how our world was shaped long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colours of the Reunion on are so nice. I'm trying to imagine what it would be like to have such a view, all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I liked the Réunion one best, then say that last one! I have been to the Verdon Gorge, many decades ago with my parent. I must have photos, but my mother was big on taking Super 8 movies so lots of memories on in that format.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a postcard souvenir book form the Drach Cave! I love caves and caverns. Not so much to visit now that I'm older and... well, less likely to want to climb lots of steps or squeeze into spaces underground!

      Delete
    2. I feel a bit uneasy on caves... but still, I visit them if I have the chance!

      Delete
  4. These are great, my favorite is the arch on the first stamp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The landscape on the first stamp makes me think of a favourite place in Majorca island, too.

      Delete
  5. I didn't know drach was dragon. Makes the caves and boats even more romantic.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.