
Le Tour du monde en quatre-vingts jours (='Around the World in Eighty Days´) is an adventure novel by the French writer Jules Verne, first published in 1872. In the story, Phileas Fogg of London and his newly employed French valet Passepartout attempt to circumnavigate the world in 80 days on a wager of £20,00. If you have read it, I am sure you remember the chapter when Fogg has to purchase an elephant because the railway line to Calcutta is incomplete...
Verne is a favourite author, but I cannot say that I get a lot of mail related to his works. This postcard was sent by Laura (the UK).
-----------------------------------------------
Thursday Postcard Hunt
August theme: TRAVELLING
August theme: TRAVELLING
- Week 1 - Trains
- Week 2 - Boats
- Week 3 - Animals
- Week 4 - Buses, Cars
It has been years since I read this, or anything by Jules Verne, But this reminds me how much I think I enjoyed it, so maybe time for a reread?
ReplyDeleteI'm reading (or re-reading, depending on the book) all the Jules Verne's works little by little. The Extraordinary Journeys are the best.
DeleteThis is an awesome card!
ReplyDeleteFor an extraordinary travel!
DeleteI don't think I've read it, but my kids loved a strange animated version when they were young. Watched it over and over, and until right now I'd forgotten all about it! The only Verne thing I have is a stamp from Morocco of Five Weeks in a Balloon. It has an elephant too.
ReplyDeleteI looked up the stamp, but I have been unable to find it.
DeleteThat's because it's not Morocco, it's Monaco! 1955
Delete50th anniversary of Verne's death. It's just one of the series.
DeleteThanks. Now I've seen the series :)
DeleteGreat stamps!
I like the illustration, and the Penguin classics series.
ReplyDeleteThanks. It's a great series of books & postcards.
Delete