25 September 2026

Women on Postcards | L Is for Loren


One of the most Agnès Varda's iconic images is Sofia Loren in Portugal, taken in 1956 in Póvoa de Varzim, (Portugal). It shows Maria do Alívio ("woman who does laundry for others"), walking, dressed in black and barefoot, down a street, Rua das Lavadeiras, in contrast to the smiling, torn poster showing Sophia Loren and the sign "For Sale". Despite the title, no doubt who is the main character here.

The postcard was sent by Pedro (Portugal). As a bonus, a stamp of the photographer issued in 2024 that I received on a letter sent by Fabienne (France):

[Women on Postcards - 2026]

2 comments:

  1. I did not know the name of the beautiful girl in the photo, nor did I know she was a laundress. Thanks for mentioning it. The dignified posture she exudes in stark contrast with the tale of hardship and poverty told by the bare feet and the black of the clothes speaks volumes...
    It is such a great Picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was impressed by this picture that I had never seen before, so I looked for more information. I love it.

      Delete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.