22 January 2017

The Tales of Beatrix Potter


This postcard is an illustration from Beatrix Potter's book Appley Dapply's Nursery Rhymes (1917), and features the amiable guinea-pig "and his whiskers and buttons very big". It arrived with matched stamps on the back, from this set, issued by Royal Mail on 28 July 2016.

The Tale of  Petter Rabbit (1902)
The Tale of Mrs Tiggy-Winkle (1905)

I confess I had not read Beatrix Potter tales as a child. As a lot of illustrators, I discovered and enjoyed them as an adult. Petter Rabbit, however, has been a very popular character since 1893. It was written for five-year-old Noel Moore, son of Potter's former governess Annie Carter Moore; then published in 1902. Royal Mail considered he deserved a special set of four stamps (issued the same day).




But also in 1993, he had appeared on a stamp:


And it wasn't the only time. Even Japan has issued stamps about Beatrix Potter's characters!


The rest of the stamps of 2016's set that I have got:

The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck (1908)

The Tale of Tom Kitten (1907)

The Tale Of Squirrel Nutkin (1903)

Update: 16 January 2018. Now I have the whole set!

The Tale of Benjamin Bunny (1904)

All the stamps and postcards of this post (except the Japanese) have been sent by John and Laura (the UK).

I added this post to Sunday Stamps - II. The theme today is books/authors.

14 comments:

  1. Quite a coincidence that I received 'The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin' this week. Beatrix Potter (and Jane Austen) get an inordinate amount of coverage on UK stamps and currency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have also received one of Jane Austen, a beloved author.

      Delete
  2. M'encanta. Jo en vaig veure la pel·lícula (sobre la il·lustradora) fa uns anys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am impressed with how many you have received.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friends take care of me :D

      Delete
    2. We are lucky! I've received several of these beauties, too :-)

      http://nogmeerpost.blogspot.nl/search/label/Beatrix%20Potter

      Delete
    3. And now I have the set complete! :D

      Delete
  4. I agree with FinnBadger. Beatrix Potter lived not far from where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I think about it, I am surprised at how familiar all these Beatrix Potters creatures are when I have not read the books in many decades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not so familiar with these characters.

      Delete
  6. Cute and beautiful illustrations, so good to see them on stamps!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.