18 April 2021

Sunday Stamps | Fontaine Saint-Michel, Paris


Today's theme in Sunday Stamps is Statues, Memorials. I have recently got this stamp from France. It was issued on 18 March 2019. 

It features the Saint-Michel fountain, placed in the 6th arrondissement of Paris (France). It was built in 1860 by architect Gabriel Davioud. It includes a bronze group sculpted by Francisque Duret (1804-1865), inspired by the painting by Raphael in the Louvre, representing Saint Michael slaying the demon. The two dragons were sculpted by Henri-Alfred Jacquemart.

6 comments:

  1. What a lovely stamp, more striking than the fountain itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that was the first thing that crossed my mind too :)

      I've been to Paris but not sure if I've visited this fountain...

      Delete
  2. You can't go wrong with a dragon sculpture. Or a dragon fountain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Joy and Ana - the stamps is more impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stamp is great, ans do is the fountain!

      Delete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.