21 August 2014

Faultless Except...

«"Everybody allows that the talent of writing agreeable letters is peculiarly female. Nature may have done something, but I am sure it must be essentially assisted by the practice of keeping a journal."

"I have sometimes thought," said Catherine, doubtingly, "whether ladies do write so much better letters that gentlemen! That is -I should not think the superiority was always on our side."

"As far as I have had opportunity of judging, it appears to me that the usual style of letter-writing is faultless, except in three particulars."

"And what are they?

"A general deficiency on subject, a total inattention to stops, and a very frequent ignorance of grammar.»

Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.