24 November 2017

Literary Postcards

Maria chose the theme Books/Reading/Authors for today's Postcards for the Weekend. I receive often postcards related to literature. These are the latest I have got, all sent by Laura (the UK):


Have you recognized Kazuo Ishiguro? He has been awarded  the Nobel Prize in Literature this year. The painter of this portrait from the National Portrait Gallery was Peter Edwards, in 1995. 



Hall's Bookshop, in Tunbridge Wells (the UK). On the back of the postcard:
Ruben Hall began trading books in Chapel Place in 1898. In 1919 he was joined by an apprentice, Harry Pratley (president of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association 1959-60), who created one of the finest bookshops in the South Est. Today the shop is run by another past-president, Adrian Harrington.


Dickens House  is a museum  that displays many artefacts relating to Charles Dickens and his life in Broadstairs (the UK).


-----
My album of postcards of Bookshops & Libraries
My album of postcards of Writers
My album dedicated to Charles Dickens

10 comments:

  1. Love love love the Ishiguro postcard! <3 Was so happy when he got the Nobel; "The Remains of the Day" is one of my favorite novels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read this one (maybe is it time?). I've only read one of Ishiguro's novels: Never Let Me Go, and I love it. It's... different.

      Delete
  2. Interesting cards. I don't think I've ever heard of the Dickens House museum before, but the name of the bookshop maybe kind of rings a bell (?) I read (listened to) The Buried Giant by Ishiguro this autumn but I might have to listen to it again to make up my mind what I think of it... Most likely it's brilliant but I fail to get all the layers of various references! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it isn't the most interesting Dickens Museum. But the postcard is great, isn't it?

      Delete
  3. Beautiful postcards!
    I don't know Ishiguro (sorry!), but I think it a wonderful painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you know him! ;)
      Yes, it must be a great great painting in person.

      Delete
  4. Postcards with authors, books, libraries, and writing top my list of favorites. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also among my favourites. My friends know me well :)

      Delete
  5. I've read Ishiguro and I'm delighted that he won the Nobel prize! It's so cool to know that there's a postcard that exists for this literary genius! Thanks for sharing and have a nice week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe now they are issuing more postcards for Ishiguro fans... :)

      Delete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.