14 May 2017

Commemorative Chilean Stamp

Today Sunday Stamps-II's theme is Commemorative. I have chosen an stamp from a country I don't receive mail often: Chile. This stamp was issued on 30 October 2013, to commemorate the rescue of 33 miners after the Copiapó mining accident.


It shows the rescue capsule.The stamp belongs to a serie of six stamps. I have only received this one, but at least two of them come with very unusual designs:

The names of the 33 men

The note they sent from the refuge
 'We are fine in the refuge -the 33'

6 comments:

  1. Very interesting stamps - they must be a decent size to be able to read all 33 names.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But actually they aren't especially big. I'd like to see that one in person. If you follow the link, you'll see how they included the note in the cancellation rubber stamp; I think it's an original one!

      Delete
  2. I remember that disaster well; interesting to see these unusual commemoratives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a dramatic accident, but, luckily, with a happy ending.

      Delete
  3. Stamps that manage to tell the story in just three images.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.