08 December 2019

Sunday Stamps | Giubileo

The Jubilee of Mercy was a Roman Catholic period of prayer held from 8 December 2015, the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, to 20 November 2016, the Feast of Christ the King. It was an extraordinary Jubilee because it had not been predetermined long before; ordinary jubilees are usually celebrated every 25 years.

Poste Italiane issued four stamps to commemorate this event. They show the same image of the Pope Francis flanked by one of the four Holy Doors of the papal basilicas in Rome: the Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore (above), the Archbasilica of Saint John Lateran (below), St. Peter's Basilica and the Basilica of Saint Paul Outside the Walls.

See here the four stamps and the special postmark.


This is a post for Sunday Stamps. The theme today is Places of Worship.

7 comments:

  1. Old church doors are always so substantial. This is a nice set, though I'd be interested in seeing a scale of door:pope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I remember well from my visit to these churches, the Pope would appear really small. The doors were imposant!

      Delete
    2. Oh, I am sure. Wouldn't want the Pope, of all people, to appear small and humbled by a door :)

      Delete
  2. I like the idea of using church doors as a symbol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know exactly why, but these stamps caught my attention immediately when I saw them.

      Delete
  3. These stamps from the suburbs of the Vatican are nice :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.