26 April 2020

Sunday Stamps | Mail By Air

'Royal Mail Heritage: Mail by Air' series of Post & Go labels, launched in Autumn 2017, commemorates the history of the UK airmail service.

The series depicts the main stages in the history of the airmail service in the United Kingdom, with six illustrations of the airplanes used for the transport of mail:

The first flight, in 1911, with a Blériot monoplane

The De Havilland DH.10 carrying mail to the troops in 1919

The creation of a regular line of domestic airmail in 1934
with De Havilland DH.84 Dragon II airplanes


The flying boat airmail in 1937

The express mail or Datapost service introduced in the 80s
with an Embraer Bandeirante EMB.110P1 by Air Ecosse

There is another one, the International airmail service by Imperial Airways, in 1933, with the Handley Page HP.42E -Helena, that I have never got on a letter or postcard:


More information about this (and others) Post & Go issues, here.


This is another post for Sunday Stamps. Go there to discover more stamps about Things That Fly.

10 comments:

  1. I liked the pictorial Post & Go labels but they have stopped them now, except at Christmas, the machines just issue boring stickers. You're lucky to have received all those on mail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know they have stopped. I used to get a lot of these, with different designs.

      Delete
    2. I'm over-lucky, because the missing plane landed yesterday :D

      Delete
  2. I liked the post and go series. I think someone who liked stamps must have been in charge. Now they have stopped I won't feel so bad that the nearest machine to me is 100 miles away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find these very interesting. But still, I prefer the stamps.

      Delete
  3. This set is very nice. A pity you don't have the last one - it is my favorite of the designs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because of the pyramids?

      Delete
    2. I think it makes me think of foreign destinations. The other backgrounds seem more generic.

      Delete
  4. I had never seen these Post & Go stamps before - excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. They were frequent on my letters from the UK.

      Delete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.