22 February 2024

Thursday Postcard Hunt | Dome Houses


Şanlıurfa, is a city in south-eastern Turkey. Şanlıurfa’s fertile Harran Plain is home to funnel-shaped dome houses. Constructed with mortar made by mixing terracotta with rose oil (or rose leaves), straw and egg whites, these dome houses are cool in summer and warm in winter, thanks to their architecture and materials.

Postcard sent by Nedine (Turkey).

------------------------------------------------

Thursday Postcard Hunt


February theme: BUILDINGS
  • Week 1 - Lighthouses
  • Week 2 - Windmills
  • Week 3 - Public buildings
  • Week 4 - Houses
  • Week 5 - Temples, churches
Everyone is welcome to share their postcards!

8 comments:

  1. I'm rather partial to windows in my house, but the idea of rose water and egg whites is so intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that in some website. Not sure that I fully understand, either!

      Delete
  2. They look like the trulli in the south of italy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so when I saw the other picture.

      Delete
  3. Very interesting "recipe" with the egg whites! Although they are binding agents in cooking. Maybe hot weather does something to harden it all?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the colour of terracotta. an interesting 'recipe' mix. Apparently egg white binds and protects, the mortar is known as agamasa. Rosewater is more of a puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, not rose water, but "rose oil" or "rose leaves" is what I found in the net. Equally puzzling, isn't it?

      Delete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.