11 February 2024

Sunday Stamps | Calligraphy

Some stamps featuring beautiful calligraphy for today's Sunday Stamps:
French stamp designed by the (mail) artist Benjamin Vautier, aka Ben, and issued in 2011. It belongs to the series Les timbres de Ben:

The following Thank You stamps were issued in 2020. They were designed by the calligrapher Dana Tanamachi, who drew the original sketches by hand. The script is highlighted in gold foil.


The stamp below features the American writer Carl Sandburg, as well as his signature:


And to see the penmanship of another writer and artist, two stamps depicting Edward Lear's work: Edward Lear as a bird (Self-portrait) and a Cat from an alphabet book. This four-stamps set was issued in 1988.

11 comments:

  1. J'aime beaucoup ce thème :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Ben stamps, and I'm glad you showed the thank you stamps, I didn't even think of them for today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sent those long ago, indeed! It's difficult to take a proper picture of this design, but they look really gorgeous on envelopes :)

      Delete
  3. The whole sheet of Thank You stamps is lovely.
    That is not the style of writing I would have expected from an almost 90 year old! I think the circles over the i made me think he must be much younger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I find it a bit childish too, but the stamps are great. Very fun to send letters with those!

      Delete
  4. Great stamps for mail. A letter from Edward Lear would be one to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love calligraphy and these stamps are so beautiful. I have never seen any of them before (besides the Thank You ones)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like the stamps, then. Thanks for coming!

      Delete
  6. You have picked a number of great stamps that fit the theme so well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.