26 September 2024

Thursday Postcard Hunt | Magere Brug

This folded card shows a bridge over the river over the river Amstel in Amsterdam (Netherlands). 

The central section of the bridge is a bascule bridge made of white-painted wood. The present bridge was built in 1934. The first bridge at this site was built in 1691 as Kerkstraatbrug and had 13 arches. Because this bridge was very narrow, the locals called it magere brug, which literally means "skinny bridge".

There are some legends associated to the bridge. If you feel curious, you can read about them in the Wikipedia.

I have got two more postcard of the same bridge. An advertisement one...

Luchtje scheppen?

... And another one where you can see the same bridge made of  ontbijkoek (gingerbread)!


Finally, let me share this stamp issued on 26 March 2012, and  presented by the Netherlands for the theme Visit... of Europa Stamps.


All this mail was sent by Heleen (the Netherlands), some years ago.

-----------------------------------------------
Thursday Postcard Hunt
September theme: BRIDGES
Everyone is welcome to share their postcards!

4 comments:

  1. Interesting bridge. The gingerbread made is so cute! Cool collection. Heleen did well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found an interesting postcard blog I thought I'd share with you all. https://myhipstory.com/2024/09/25/he-was-here-last-eve-capturing-girlhood-and-family-bonds-in-a-1909-postcard/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Surely this is the best of the many bridges in Amsterdam! Love the gingerbread version.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm impressed by the gingerbread bridge! I actually saw a gingerbread covered bridge (little of course!) at my city's annual Gingerbread Jubilee a couple of years ago. So, I guess gingerbread bridges are a thing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.