31 January 2018

Dreams of a City


Dreams of a City is a project by artist Jenny Lam:
From Fall 2008 through Spring 2009, within my last year living in New York City, I obsessively created hundreds of pre-stamped, self-addressed postcards, omitting my name. Written on each postcard was the prompt, “Tell me one thing you dream of doing before you die. Use this card as your canvas,” as well as a code on the bottom corner. I then left these postcards in public spaces all over Manhattan, using the codes to record where I placed each one. When the postcards returned to me, I was able to tell where each had been found, and, gradually, I pieced together a map of the city from all these people’s dreams.
You can see all the postcards she received here. Now she is redoing the project (much more bigger!) in Chicago, and sharing the postcards here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.