12 August 2020

The Group of Seven | MacDonald

Church by the Sea (1924),

Canada Post commemorated the 100th anniversary of the Group of Seven’s first art exhibition with a set of stamps issued on the May 7, anniversary date of that exhibition held in 1920 in Toronto, Ontario. Each stamp depicts a painting by one of the artists.

Bryon sent one of them on the back of a postcard depicting another MacDonald's work:

Artist's Home and Orchard (1927),
 by J.E.H. MacDonald

It even get a big round cancellation from Tornhill, Ontario, where the artist lived since 1911:


I must say that I didn't know about the Group of Seven until last year, when I received this postcard from Rosemary:

Falls, Montreal River, 1920
 by J.E.H. MacDonald

4 comments:

  1. That is quite a nice postmark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. A lovely series. More posts to come!

      Delete
  2. MacDonald isn't my favourite of the Group of Seven, but I live near the art gallery that is dedicated to them, and seeing the original paintings has given me a new appreciation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew little about these painters before I started to get the postcards & stamps. Now I'd like to see the paintings in person!

      Delete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.