20 August 2020

Un cabinet de curiosités

Cabinets of curiosities were collections of notable objects. The term cabinet originally described a room rather than a piece of furniture. Modern terminology would categorise the objects included as belonging to natural history (sometimes faked), geology, ethnography, archaeology, religious or historical relics, works of art (including cabinet paintings), and antiquities. The classic cabinet of curiosities emerged in the 16th century, although more rudimentary collections had existed earlier.













Letters from Fabienne and Catehrine (France), John (the UK), Rebecca and Mim (the USA), Micu (Hungary) and Lena (the Netherlands).

4 comments:

  1. I love the idea of a cabinet of curiosities. I have a small china cabinet with my postcard books and a shelf with a display of objets that I rearrange every few months. Reminds me, I should move my easter egg collection out and put something else in... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mailbox seems to produce a cabinet of curiosities all the time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems so if you put the letters together. Actually, these arrived on different days, even different weeks.

      Delete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.