25 October 2023

Hungarian Literature

Csönd. A bútorok csöndje
(='Silence. The silence of the furniture')

I like multiples on postcards, and I find this one very original. If I understand it, these are the silhouettes of different chairs belonging to famous Hungarian writers (or representing them?). Including Sándor Petőfi (1823-1849), who gives his name to the museum where the postcard was bought.

This stamp, issued to commemorate the bicentenary of the author, depicts one of his works: the epic poem János vitéz (='John the Valiant').

And still another literary stamp on the back, dedicated to the birth centenary of Hungarian poet János Pilinszky (1921-1981).

And I thought this label was also a sort of poem...
... but I copied it on an online translator and it gave: "A letter sent after the extension deadline or on a day of rest or public holiday."

4 comments:

  1. What a great and interesting postcard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of information! Although most of the Hungarian writers are unknown to me.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It's a great way of representing the writers, isn't it? And the design is great.

      Delete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.