04 August 2024

Sunday Stamps | Baseball

Do not ask me anything about baseball... I just happen to have some baseball stamps!

Lou Gehrig, 1989

Negro Leagues Baseball, 2010


Comiskey Park (Chicago), 2010

Yogi Berra, 2021

For today's Sunday Stamps, dedicated to Sports. Meaning, I guess, olympic sports, which is not the case in 2024. According to Wikipedia:
Baseball at the Summer Olympics unofficially debuted at the 1900 Summer Olympics in Paris, and was first contested as a demonstration sport at the 1912 Summer Olympics in Stockholm. It became an official Olympic sport at the 1992 Summer Olympics in Barcelona, then was played at each Olympiad through the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing. The sport was then dropped from the Summer Olympic program, until being revived for the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo for a single appearance. It is next expected to be part of the 2028 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles.

Update (23 August 2024): A new baseball stamp (as announced in the comments!) has landed. Thanks, Bryon!

Hank Aaron, 2024

14 comments:

  1. It's weird that baseball isn't always in the Olympics. I'd love to have those stamps. They'd be a cool way to learn about those amazing baseball players. Speaking of amazing, I saw this old interview with Reggie Jackson on Fox Sports's YouTube channel. The guy's a baseball legend. He was talking about his time in the league, and honestly, it was heartbreaking and inspiring at the same time. You could hear the pain in his voice as he talked about the challenges, and called out good people who supported him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I thought it was always in the Olympics when I gathered the stamps. Only after I looked for information.

      Delete
  2. The Negro League stamp is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have unintentionally accumulated a number of baseball stamps but not a single one from the USA!
    Baseball does bemuse me although I do know who Yogi Berra was which I suppose is a plus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought USA is the greater producer of baseball stamps. Maybe I am wrong! As I wrote at the beginning, I know nothing about baseball.

      Delete
  4. Great stamps! And the USPS just released another new baseball stamp last week honoring Hank Aaron!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have sent, if not all, most of these! :)

      Delete
  5. Not a baseball fan either, but I am familiar with all the 'old' names, and even the names of the fields. Also, wasn't aware of the checkered involvement with the olympics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too did not know the history of baseball sometimes being in the Olympics, sometimes not. Yes A new Hank Aaron stamp is available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is curiousto see how sports are in/out of the Olympic games.

      Delete
  7. These are nice to see. I don't think I have any baseball stamps.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.