06 July 2013

Sea Creatures on Stamps

Sometimes I wonder who (exactly) decides themes for stamps in each country. I do not know which theme I would choose if I had the chance of designing a stamp. But there are some themes which seem to appear in stamps from the whole world. For instance, fishes (?!). Suddenly I realised that I have received quite a lot stamps with fishes, and I wanted to show some of them here. Believe or not, I had my post ready before reading Viridian's suggestion for Sunday Stamps this week: Sea creatures.


From China


From Greece


From Japan


From Malaysia

From New Zealand

This is not exactly a sea creature, but I considered it was a interesting stamp to show here. It is a hei matau: a bone or greenstone carving in the shape of a fish hook. It is typical of the Maori people of New Zealand, and represents strength, good luck and safe travel across water.



From Philippines


From Philippines


From Poland


From Taiwan


From Taiwan

6 comments:

  1. What a fine collection, The Greek ray is superb and I like the Poland stamps but they look like fresh water fish to me - the one on the right is definitely a pike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great selection, the Japanese stamp is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have quite a collection and had a tough time choosing!
    and I haven't got any of the ones you are showing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great selection - thanks for showing more than one stamp. the NZ stamp is a beautiful graceful carving, isn't it? thank you for participating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am happy to see Philippine stamps with sea creatures on your page. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stamps from Philippines are wonderful! :D

      Delete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.