04 November 2018

Sunday Stamps | L for Light

For the letter L of Sunday Stamps, I have chosen to show some received stamps related to the topic Light.

Canada


Two stamps from the series Weather Wonders (18 June 2015).


Northern Lights, from the 2002 stamp series Tourist Attractions, issued on 1 June (I received it from the UK, along with an UK-stamp on the back of a reused postcard!)


A stunning light show in the skies above Nunavut’s Arctic Bay. One of the stamps of the 2018 Tourism set, entitled "From Far and Wide / Terre de nos Aïeux", issued on 15 January.

The United Kingdom

The Dark Side of the Moon (1973) is one of the album covers that Royal Mail chose to commemorate the British rock band Pink Floyd in 2016. The prism spectrum has become a very recognoscible symbol. See here the rest of the set.

Mexico

Stamp issued on 3 February 2016 to commemorate the closing of the International Year of Light.


The Netherlands

A powerful use of light on a photography by Quinta Buma.


The USA

Three Fingers Mountain in Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest, WA, photograph by Kevin Ebi. From the series O Beautiful.

Tiffany Lamp, 2008.

10 comments:

  1. A very beautiful collection! A delight for the eye! (and now wondering about language: is why delight named delight, as it is de-Light :-) )

    And how nice that you always do research and find and mention the series the stamps are from!
    I've never seen the UK album cover serie, must be a nice serie. I still have some vinyl at home - among them Pink Floyd's 'Animals' - and I love to see the LP not only is going out of the cover, but also leaving the stamp :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's an interesting theme. And I was sure you'd love the Pink Floyd stamp! :D

      Delete
  2. Amazing variety on the theme. Love the lightning storm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic collection of stamps - one of my favorite themes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those sky stamps are my favourites.
    Somehow I missed the Int'l Year of Light...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was in 2016. Also the Spanish postal service issued a commemorative stamp.

      Delete
  5. Great collection; I'd love to see the Northern Lights for real.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.