26 November 2018

Alice's Mail

Alice-related mail sent by John (the UK):


"Have I gone mad?"
"I'm afraid so, you're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you
a secret... All the best people are."

The Frog looked ad the door with
his large dull eyes for a minute

Illustration by J. Tenniel,
coloured by Diz Wallis

In another moment Alicia was
though the glass, and had jumped
down lightly into the
Looking-glass room.

Illustration by J. Tenniel,
coloured by Diz Wallis




And sent by Bryon (the USA):


On the back, you can read some curious facts:
Issued in 1885,this cover depicts Alice, the iconic character from Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, visiting Yellowstone National Park. Carroll's books and the Park become forever intertwined in the public consciousness when, just after the American Civil War, the Nation journalists saw the analogy between those two lands full of strange and magical wonders. Beginning around the time the rail line near the park was completed in 1883, the Northern Pacific Railroad began using this analogy as a clever way to promote Yellowstone and their railroad as the way visitors could now reach the real "Wonderland".

4 comments:

  1. Quel bel envoi ! tout est si joli !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les cartes postales sont arrivées dans de différents envois.

      Delete
  2. Hi Eva, What a great smile I got from the reply you left for my comment yesterday! But you forgot to answer my one quick question at the end. No big deal. :-) Anyway, in this post, the last card from Bryon ... Alice's Adventures in the New Wonderland ... Yes, the image is **famous** and reminded me of one of the Northern Pacific Railroad's publications in my collection. I need to find it and put in into a post on John's Island. Thank you for this nice post on Mail Adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't forget. I will answer you on my next postcard :)

      Delete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.