14 April 2019

Women on Stamps | H for Haasse


Hella Haasse (1918 – 2011)[1] was a Dutch writer, often referred to as the Grand Old Lady of Dutch literature, and whose novel Oeroeg (1948) was a staple for generations of Dutch schoolchildren. Her internationally acclaimed magnum opus is Heren van de Thee, translated to 'The Tea Lords'. Haasse lived in the Dutch East Indies for most of the 20 first years of her life. So, and important segment of her literary work consist of Dutch Indies Literature.

The stamp was issued in 2012, belonging to the Grenzeloos sheet, dedicated to Indonesia.

----------
For the current round of Sunday Stamps A-Z I am showing stamps dedicated to women. You can see here all the Women on Stamps featured on this blog.

Go to Sunday Stamps to enjoy more H-stamps.

8 comments:

  1. I like how the stamp image curls to reveal the tea workers beneath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been this design in more stamps from the Netherlands, and I like it too.

      Delete
  2. That's a new name in the books world for me. Will check her out. I love the way the connection with the has been done here! So clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't found her books in the library, but I want to read at least one!

      Delete
  3. An interesting view with half her face 'hidden'.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.