21 April 2019

Women on Stamps | I for Imaginary Women

I am afraid that imaginary, or fictional women are far more likely to appear on stamps that real ones...


You can see above one of the latest Harry Potter stamps, issued on 16 October 2018. It features the actress Emma Watson as one of the main characters: Hermione Granger (If you are familiar with the Potterian universe, you will recognise also the time turner, at the corner.)
Morgan Le Fay, a character from the Arthurian legend, appeared on this stamp from the set Magical Realms (9 March 2011).



The stamp above features a portrait of Leda, the queen of Sparta, from the ancient Greek mythology.

The stamp below shows a woman in a landscape who Royal Mail says about: 
The most plausible explanation is that this is the maiden Matelda gathering flowers, as she appears to Dante on the far side of a stream in Purgatory, the second book of his Divine Comedy. However, the purpose of the drawing is unknown.

Both stamps belong to the issue Leonardo Da Vinci (13 February 2019). You can read more about this issue here. I have received, so far, three more stamps from this set:






----------
For the current round of Sunday Stamps A-Z I am showing stamps dedicated to women. You can see here all the Women on Stamps featured on this blog.

Go to Sunday Stamps to enjoy more I-stamps.

10 comments:

  1. Such a surprising and nice theme for today! Beautiful imaginary women stamps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very clever idea for I, but sad to realize that imaginary women appear more than real women.

    Also, the da Vinci stamps seem really special - I assume they look even better in real life than they do online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This Da Vinci set is very special. The stamps look superbe on envelopes, as they have the ideal size.

      Delete
  3. I wasn't sure about the Da Vinci stamps but they do look better on an envelope than altogether as a set. I liked the Magic Realms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about Da Vinci stamps. I think they look quite elegant on letters.

      Delete
  4. ooh, I see a similarity in all these women with their long flowing locks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I missed out on all these marvellous stamps. Very envious of the da Vinci series.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.