17 February 2020

28th Annual Gold Rush Trail Sled Dog Mail Run


How nice it is to get a letter that has been carried by dog sled? I didn't even know there was such a thing; this was a surprise by Phillip. The designer of the envelope is Christine Yaffe. 


[...]
In this age of Internet communication it may be hard to appreciate just how much receiving a letter in the mail meant to the gold seekers and others who found themselves so away from family. Initially mail was carried on foot by anyone willing to stuff it in their backpack. Eventually contracts were let to established freight companies that included the mail as part of their regular cargo. At one point there were six post offices in communities along this last leg of the Cariboo Waggon (sic) Road running from Quesnellemouth to Barkerville.
[...]

You can find detailed information here.

5 comments:

  1. I like that it received several nice postmarks. Glad it was a surprise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The postmarks are excellent. And yes: I hadn't heard about that initiative.

      Delete
    2. Maybe you forgot about replying to this post Year of the Goat

      Delete
    3. Of course I don't remember. I don't remember what I took this morning for breakfast! ;)

      Delete
    4. We can both have memory loss, can't we :)

      Delete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.