16 February 2020

Sunday Stamps | Motorless

I have chosen some motorless boats to illustrate today's Sunday Stamps's theme: Watercraft.

Issued on 18 July 1991, this stamp belongs to the Small Craft, Pleasure Craft series.
The verchère rowboat first appeared on the St. Lawrence River in Quebec in the mid-1800's. Two families originally built this 14 to 24 foot flat-bottomed boat, which was, at first, pointed at both ends. Louis St-Pierre, a resident of Bouchard Island across from the town of Verchères, has been attributed with the design concept for this stable rowboat. (More information here)


13 March 1987, Brûlé nears Lake Superior. This Canadian stamp belongs to the Exploration of Canada series:
Born in France about 1592, Brûlé arrived at Quebec in 1608. In 1610 Samuel de Champlain sent him to live with the Huron and to learn their language. The adventurous Brûlé was more than an interpreter, though. He became the first European to shoot the Lachine rapids and to set eyes on Lakes Huron, Ontario, Superior and Erie. (Taken from here.)


Canoe Slalom. One of the stamps issued by Royal Mail for the 2012 London Summer Olympics.


18 April 2011, Triakontoros 15th to 4th Century BC. From the 2011 Greek series Sailing Ships.


And a very simple paper boat from the 2010 Greek Islands series. Among my favourite stamps ever!


Not sure if these are really motorless... Dutch stamp issued on 11 November 1987, designed by Charlotte Mutsaers.

10 comments:

  1. I've forgotten how to make a paper boat. We have a whitewater canoe course near us - not for me though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great mini-collection - and you are right, the paper boat stamp is the star here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure it has postal validity, because there is no face value. It arrived on a postcard, along with other stamp.

      I found a discussion about the matter in a philatelic forum. See here.

      Delete
    2. Looks like the green square gives it the value.

      Delete
  3. I always like the idea of a canoe but in reality my feet are the only thing found paddling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the canoes. But I am strictly for calm waters :)
    That Greek warship made my body ache just looking at all those oars.
    Though that paper boat made me smile!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.