09 February 2020

Sunday Stamps | My Other Country

Painting by Jacques Majorelle
This week, the them for Sunday Stamps is A country not your own. For me, that other country would probably be Morocco.

I don't get often mail from Morocco, but I have recently got these stamps from France, belonging to the French version a 2019 joint issue France-Morocco entitled Richesse de nos musées ('Richness of Our Museums').

Le golfe de Marseille vu de l'Estaque, by Paul Cézanne
The exhibition The colours of Impressionism: masterpieces of the collections of the Musée d'Orsay, organized last year at the Mohammed VI Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art (MMVI) in Rabat, is the first major exhibition dedicated to Impressionism on African soil and in the Arab world.

The margins of this miniature sheet represent a part of the Musée d'Orsay in Paris (left) and the main entrance of the Mohammed VI Museum, inaugurated in Rabat in 2014 (right). I visited it many times!

8 comments:

  1. I like joint issues and I like the combination of architecture and paintings on the miniature sheet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to have the inside and the outside. I've never been the sheet in person, though.

      Delete
  2. The architecture of the Mohammed VI Museum is very nice.
    It would be nice if more countries had joint issues - maybe 1 per year. In 60years Canada has only had 25, and the last were 3 in 2017.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That building is very nice. I've spent hours in that café!

      I'm not sure, but I think that Spain has 1 joint issue per year.

      Delete
  3. The Cézanne painting is superb. I don't see many stamps from Morocco so this joint issue is good to seen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to get the Moroccan version as well.

      Delete
  4. This is a beautiful pair. Thanks for sharing the minisheet today, great seeing the museums side by side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NOw I realised that I've been only once in the French museum, and several times in the Moroccan one :)

      Delete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.