12 November 2023

Sunday Stamps | Men and Their Ships

Today's topic in Sunday Stamps is Boats/Ships. Browsing my received stamps, I have realised that Men with Ships is a widespread philatelic subject!

Egypt, 1948
Ibrahim Pasha of Egypt (1789 – 1848) was an Ottoman general in the Egyptian army. The stamp was issued to commemorate the 100th anniversary of his death.

France, 2016
Claude-François-Dorothée, marquis de Jouffroy d'Abbans (1751 - 1832) was a French naval architect and engineer. He was the inventor of the first steamboat, leading to the first industrial revolution by launching a new dynamic on the waters of the globe.

United Kingdom, 1982
HMS Dreadnought was a Royal Navy battleship the design of which revolutionised naval power. The ship's entry into service in 1906 represented such an advance in naval technology that her name came to be associated with an entire generation of battleships, the dreadnoughts, as well as the class of ships named after her. Lord Fisher and HMS Dreadnought is one of the stamps belonging to the set Maritime Heritage

United States of America, 1965
Robert Fulton (1765 – 1815) was an American engineer and inventor who is widely credited with developing the world's first commercially successful steamboat, the North River Steamboat (also known as Clermont).

8 comments:

  1. I've heard the name 'dreadnought', but didn't know anything about it. That Lord Fisher looks a pretty miserable sort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Men and ships - I must have lots too. From memory I do have a woman and a ship, a rare occurrence, and significantly it is from a Scandinavian country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they exist, but I didn't find any stamp featuring woman and a ship.

      Delete
  3. I did not know the back story of "Dreadnought"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither did I. Stamps teach us a lot of things!

      Delete
  4. wow, men and ship. I should look for those too.
    Awesome stamps.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.