07 January 2024

Sunday Stamps | Churches on French Stamps

The first Sunday Stamps topic this year is Places of Worship. I am showing some churches on stamps recently received on envelopes sent by Fabienne.

Sainte chapelle de Riom
1971

Cathédrale d'Aix la Chapelle (Germany)
1972

Abbaye de St-Pierre-sur-Dives et de Bernay
1979

Église Jeanne d´Arc à Rouen
1979

The Saint Vincent de Rouen church was famous for its 16th century stained glass windows. Despite the destruction of the church during the Second World War, the stained glass windows, dismantled, were able to be saved; they were incorporated to the modern church of Saint Joan of Arc (1979). The stamp shows a detail of those stained glass windows: Simon the Magician tears up his books during an argument with St Peter in the presence of the crowd. 

14 comments:

  1. J'aime beaucoup ces timbres anciens ,il y a juste une petite erreur ,Aix La Chapelle se trouve en Allemagne ,elle est connue comme résidence de Charlemagne .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed that despite sharing a stamp from the same country it is not one you have shown today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I had never seen the one you have showed on your post :)

      Delete
  3. The soaring heights of these windows are awe inspiring. There is something about the first church that draws me in - would love to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stamps! I like the Europa stamp's colors. I also like the story on the glass windows: at first I thought they depicted Joan of Arc with a beard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must confess that I thought the same! :D

      Delete
  5. The Abbey St Pierre playing card concept and all the little details pointed out by the link are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful stamps that I have not seen before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Admirable artists detail work on all of them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.