23 June 2013

Castles on Stamps

Today the theme for Sunday Stamps is Churches, castles and fortifications. I have seen and got some stamps with castles, but this is one of my favourite:



It is a French stamp which represents the Palais des Papes in the city of Avignon (southern France). It is one of the largest and most important medieval Gothic buildings in Europe. Fortress and palace, it was the papal residence, so the seat of Western Christianity, during the XIV century. I visited the castle/palace some years ago, and I was really impressed!


I wanted also show some wonderful Russian stamps. I cannot read Russian, so I do not know the name of the castles and buildings on the stamps. But I love them!







And now I realise that some of these stamps fit in the previous Sunday Stamps theme: Stamps with unusual shape. or unusual size!

9 comments:

  1. Stunning examples, the architecture is wonderful.
    You asked how I have the Egyptian stamps, well after spending some time in Cairo, I started collecting old postcards of Egypt, then I bought a couple of FDC's of King Farouk's marriage in 1938 and this started my stamp collection/accumulation :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      I received only one stamp from Egypt so far. The "vintage" stamps you show sometimes in your blog are just amazing.

      Delete
  2. I love that series of 2009 Russian stamps (and the Belarus ones) I just wish they weren't so small!
    I hadn't seen that Christmas one before - very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fine group of stamps to show us. The Russian stamps are particularly good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the Russian snowflake stamp, what a cool idea. I hadn't thought of the Russian kremlins stamps for the unusual shape theme, well spotted. They are a nice set of stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the snowflake stamp, too! Haven't something similar.

    I also like the Palais des Papes. I have now an idea on what to share for this coming Sunday Stamps' anything you wish theme
    Thank you Hawwa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to you for visiting the blog! :D

      Delete
  6. I am with Maria, like the snowflake and the
    Pope's Palace. Sorry I am commenting so late.
    thank you for joining us this week

    ReplyDelete
  7. The stamp from France is absolutely worth having!!!

    Willa @ Postage Journal:My Sunday Stamp

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.