03 April 2015

Random Letter


Postcard sent by John (UK). It belongs to Everything is Connected, by Keri Smith and asked me to write a letter using this rules:
Get a dictionary. The first word of you letter must be chosen from page 48. The fifth word of your letter must be chosen from page 10. The twelfth word of your letter must be chosen from page 100. The eighteenth word of your letter must be chosen from page 25.
So I took my Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary and, after some frustrating attempts, I came up with this:
Applause is hard to achieve in letter writing. However, what lies behind letters isn't that, but the agreeable feeling of connecting people.
What do you think? I assure you that what John had written was a better beginning!

9 comments:

  1. That postcard book looks like fun, I'm planning on buying it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the whole set from "everything is connected" ready to be send out, can't wait to get started. I think you made a very nice sentence by following the rules!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :D
      Let me know the sentence you write following these rules. I'm curious!

      Delete
  3. I really like your sentence and this sounds like a fun challenge. John is also my pen pal. :) He is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I've seen mail from John in your blog: everything/everybody is connected! ;)

      Delete
  4. That's a beautiful text, which you had to make out of a challenging word combination!
    Now another try, using your other dictionaries? :-) (I guess you've got - or at least access to - several other ones :-) ).

    By the way, I was wondering which dictionary Keri Smith had in mind when creating this asdignment. I think using thick dictionaries, like the Oxford, increase the chance to have more words starting with 'a' than, for instance traveler's dictionaries or the French dictionary :-)

    (And by the way, I've the Dutch version of Everything is connected!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used the only dictionary of English I have at home (I mostly use dictionaries online, or I go to the library). If I had written the phrase in Catalan it would have been much easier!

      I didn't know there is a Dutch version. Have you used the postcards?

      Delete
  5. I'm looking forward to seeing your Catalan text!

    So far the postcard booklet still is waiting in my to-be-used-because-it's-so-awesome pile. I had planned to send a card with each mail art I would send out (with a translation into English if necessary) but I forgot in the rush of the days (and meanwhile I send out less than 10 pieces of mail art). Time is ripe to start sending! Thank you for reminding me by this!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.