This eclectic style building was built between 1898 and 1910. It was designed by architect Louis Cloquet in collaboration with Stéphane Mortier for the 1913 World Exhibition.
The façades of the building are decorated with different statues and coat of arms, representing Belgium, Flanders, Wallonia, the at that time 9 provinces and the 23 European heads of state. There are about 100 statues in total.
The interior has been newly refurbished and turned into the classy De Post shopping centre and luxury hotel 1898 The Post. The post pigeons painted on the walls still refer to the original function of the building.
More pictures, including the 51 m high clock tower: here, here...