16 June 2019

Women on Stamps | Q for Quant



Mary Quant (born 1930) is an English fashion designer and fashion icon. She became an instrumental figure in the 1960s London-based Mod and youth fashion movements. She was one of the designers who took credit for the miniskirt and hotpants, and by promoting these and other fun fashions she encouraged young people to dress to please themselves and to treat fashion as a game.

The stamp was issued on 13 January 2009, and belongs to a 10-stamps set entitled British Design Classics.

----------

For the current round of Sunday Stamps A-Z I am showing stamps dedicated to women. You can see here all the Women on Stamps featured on this blog.

Go to Sunday Stamps to enjoy more Q-stamps.

7 comments:

  1. That image is how I always think of her, it is incredible that she was born way back in 1930. Topical stamp as there is a Mary Quant retrospective exhibition on at the Victoria and Albert Museum at the moment which runs until next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I had never seen an image of Mary Quant until I got this stamp. The exhibition would be very interesting to see.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Joy - an iconic image of Mary Quant, and I am surprised that she was already over 30 when was designing hot pants and mini skirts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even I remember that pose now immortalised on a stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very clever find for Q.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.