27 June 2019

Souvenir of St. Agustine

This is one of the strangest (and funniest!) souvenirs that I have received from someone visiting a city. When I received the first, I think I was not fully aware that I was going to get two more...

I send you herewith the head of a Gator,
Watch for the mail - it will bring more later
(Received on 16 May 2019)

On the back of the postcards there is some information about the place:
This city is the oldest continually occupied European settlement in North America. St. Augustine was founded in by 1508 by Don Pedro Menéndez of Avilés, Spain, who was sent to protect the Spanish Treasure fleets sailing along the coast of Florida.

Two-thirds I am here, in body and soul,
The next is the last and the Gator is whole.

(Received on 21 May 2019)
 A stone fortress was buit by the Spanish to protect St. Augustine form English expansion. Construction of the Castillo de San Marcos started in 1672 making it the oldest masonry fortification in the United States. It stands today as a symbol of Spain's early colonization of our country.

This is the last card I send you by mail,
The end of the Gator and the end of the "tale."

(Received on 27 May 2019)
Finally... we know why an alligator is appearing on the postcards!
To learn more about this "tale" and others, visit the St. Augustine Alligator Farm and Zoological Park. You can see 23 species of crocodilians, rare white alligators, exotic birds, and mammals. 

Fortunately, it was not the last postcard that Bryon sent to me. Would you send something like this to your friends? It made me laugh, so I would, definitely!


Not easy to take a picture of the three postcards together!

12 comments:

  1. That is a bizarre set of postcards!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so cool!
    I would definitely send.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great postcards!

    And send something similar - mail in jigsaw puzzle parts - to friends? You did! Be it not an alligator but a quote. And not three postcards but four envelopes. And not from one country but from four!
    (again thousands 'thank you's' for that!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've sent (and got) a couple of those :)
      But I've never seen postcards specifically designed to do so. I wonder if someone would buy only the second postcard, for instance.

      Delete
  4. I love it / them. I would definitely send them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have I already said that I would send them too? :)

      Delete
  5. Amazing set. I would absolutely send them, but you know that the middle one would arrive first :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just picked this set up at a thrift store ! So cool

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.