23 April 2013

Happy St. George's Day!


Card sent by Heleen (the Netherlands).

Leesvoer (='Readings', I think), by Willy Belinfante. This painting fits in my album of Reading Women! And besides this, thanks to the postcard I discovered she has a lot of works showing readers (for instance).

As I wrote last Sunday, Saint George's Day in Catalonia is something like Valentine's Day. Better than Valentine's Day, because not only lovers swap books and roses. Also the friends, the relatives, even the co-workers do. Today is the right day to wander around the stalls of books in the street. Almost impossible not to buy at least one book. This beautiful tradition is based on a legend: there was a village terrorized by a fierce dragon, a pretty princess in danger... Well, you can imagine the final, can't you?

The envelope I received yesterday is also decorated in a literary way. Even the bear on the stamps is reading a letter!


6 comments:

  1. I like the stamps. And the envelope. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the envelope and the reading woman postcard. Reading women are something I collect as well and I have loved Francine van Hove for years so I think Laura may be getting another begging letter to see if she has another copy of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the envelope too, especially the cup on the books. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like the perfect life, doesn't it? :-)

      Delete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.