15 December 2016

On Typewriters

A couple of weeks ago I published a thank you card featuring a happy typewriter. The same day, I found another in my mailbox!


This blue postcard was sent by Bryon (the USA). It is a Lettera 32 portable typewriter, by Olivetti (1963). I was very happy to receive it. I learned to type with to machines: a my father's Lettera 42 and a smaller portable Lettera 12. So I guess this is something in between...


The sender wrote that he is glad we don't use those any more. Well, I recognise that they are not exactly practical. But I sort of miss the typewriters I left (obviously) in Spain.



And I confess that I have been playing with this one that someone lend me.


Or should I say that it has been playing with me?

5 comments:

  1. Great post! You're right, corrections are harder to fix on a typewriter. Amazing that we have nostalgia for something that is now more or less obsolete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing... but we humans are weird, aren't we? :)

      Delete
  2. I received an amazing envelope on which I immediately saw my name and address had been typewritten, which made me smile and happy! Thank you!!!
    I imaged you typewriting and wanted to write and ask you about it, but you are before me to explain about it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your blog post and remember me typewriting our school magazine (and do the layout analoguely so I could remove and change mistypings easily, with scissors and glue :-) ). Good times! Although I see the advantages of nowadays working in Word well, too.

      Delete
    2. Everything has pros and cons... I spent a lot of time learning to type (anot-so-nice nun was my teacher!), and it is a skill I still take advantage of. I think that typewriters are becoming fashionable again, but more for artistic purposes. Amazing!

      Delete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.