28 October 2018

Sunday Stamps | K for Kampen


This stamp was issued in 2006, and belongs to the series of Mooi Nederland (='Beautiful Netherlands'). I don't understand some of the images of the stamp... I guess it is difficult that someone from Kampen see this post, but one never knows!

Update: Heleen added a link in the comments that provide some explanation for the hunging cow (along with beautiful pictures of Kampen):
Adding to this mystery was a photograph of a life-size model cow hanging from the picturesque 17th Century Nieuwe Toren. I asked the museum staff why there was a cow hanging from the top of the tower and discovered that this was the Kamper Cow, the basis of a long standing joke about the people of Kampen, or Kampers as they’re collectively known.
The story goes that the townsfolk were worried by grass growing on the roof of the tower. Some bright spark had the idea to take a cow to the top of the tower so that it could graze on the grass. Needless to say, the cow met a decidedly unpleasant end and the story has been used to illustrate the stupidity of Kampers ever since. The model cow is hoisted up the tower in the summer during Kampen’s annual festival.

This is a post for Sunday Stamps, letter K.

12 comments:

  1. A fun stamp. I was near there on holiday this year, what a pity I didn't visit after seeing this stamp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to visit this city, too. Actually, I've never been to the Netherlands.

      Delete
  2. I didn't know much of Kampen, apart from the fact that there is an artschool located there, and I've visited Kampen one day, many years afo, and we had dinner in a sail ship (in the harbour).

    Concerning the cow, I had to look it up (also), and apart from many Dutch websites explaining (googling with the words 'Kampen', 'koe' = cow, and 'kerk' = church), I found some info in English, see https://notesfromcamelidcountry.net/2016/03/24/cow-related-humour-in-kampen/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for the link. I like to know a bit about the story of the cow. According to the pictures, Kampen seems a very nice city to visit.

      Delete
    2. An addition to this story (in Dutch) says that the cow pushed out her tongue while being hanged and being pulled upwards towards the grass, and the Kampen people thought that was because she was liking the grass..

      Sad story.. Meanwhile showing the self-relativation of the people which I think no bad characteristic.

      Delete
  3. Thanks Heleen for the link. Fun stamp for Kampen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. More Dutch stamps today - love seeing that cow hoisted (probably not so fun for the cow).

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah, I think a goat might have been a better choice ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.