03 February 2019

Sunday Stamps | X for... ?


For me, X is the most difficult letter to find stamps related with. In the previous rounds of Sunday Stamps A-Z, I showed stamps related to the shape of the letter (see here and here).

Today, I thought of another meaning of the letter X: when it designes the incognito or obscure things. And I have recently received some stamps related to... magic!

The following ones belong to the series issued by Royal Mail on 16 October 2018. The 15 stamps feature characters from the books, and also their magical modes of transport. But these are no ordinary stamps – they have secret details that require the touch of a wizard to uncover. Each stamp will include hidden details that will only be revealed when it is placed under ultraviolet light. You can see the messages here, too.







I had received more Harry Potter stamps in the past (See them on this post and this post). But the following ones arrived on a letter last month and were new to me. They were issued by USPS post in 2013.



But, of course, Harry Potter has not the sole control of the magic of the world. I think these stamps dedicated to The Art of Magic, and issued in July 2018, offer an striking design (More information about this design, see here.)



For more X themes on stamps, wander through the links at Sunday Stamps.

11 comments:

  1. A clever idea behind X.

    And a really nice set of stamps. I think it is a pity that they chose a method of hiding details that not everyone has easy access to. I did read that you can buy a flashlight that has a UV setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is done for only magicians to have an easy access to the secret messages ;)

      Delete
    2. The nice thing is that they are great stamps even without the secret marks... and you have received so many.

      Delete
    3. Actually, I hadn't heard about the secret messages until you told me in a comment :)

      Delete
    4. I only knew about them from Royal Mail's instagram.

      Delete
  2. I love the way you thought 'outside the box' for this week!
    I've never read Harry Potter (or seen any of the movies) and yet I seem to know so many of the characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never seen the films, which these pictures are taken from, I think. But I enjoyed the whole series of books.

      Delete
  3. I've not read the Harry Potter books nor seen any of the films. I must admire these stamps however and am glad you told us about the hidden messages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As FinnBadger wrote, I think they are great stamps even without the hidden marks.

      Delete
  4. I didn't know about the Harry Potter secret messages either. I liked the mix of objects in the stamps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is more original that the previous series.

      Delete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.