29 July 2019

It Is Impossible to Get Mail from Guatemala

Girl form Tecpàn

Claire went to Guatemala and bought these colourful postcards. She wrote them, went to the post office... just to be told that there was no mail service in the Guatemala. (But they keep selling postcards -?!)

She sent me the postcards after her trip, from the United States, along with an article which explained (sort of) that the mail service was suspended in 2016 and
[...] it’s still non-existent, making Guatemala the only country in Central or South American without a postal service, and one of the only countries in the world to be without (although some countries have suspended international deliveries and others are massively inefficient).
Antigua
Now I wonder which other countries in the world (if any) have no mail service... Have you any information about?

[I have seen Postcrossing postcards sent from Guatemala last month, like this one. How...?!?]

6 comments:

  1. That's interesting. I imagine places like South Sudan and Somalia might also not have any postal services. It would be nice to have Postcrossers from more African countries, but I certainly understand why postcards are not a priority.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read that Somalia relaunched the postal service in 2014. But, if you look at the UPU site, they say "no service available". If you look at the Postcrossing site, they say that 2 postcards have been sent from there (?!).

      South Sudan figures as a member since 2011, but I'm not sure if their postal service is working. No Postcrossing postcards from this place so far.

      When I lived in Morocco, people usually like to get a postcard form there. The postal service wasn't so good in 2012. But, when I left, last year, it has improved a lot, and it worked more or less like in Europe.

      Delete
  2. I think it would be hard to live somewhere with no postal service after having had (mostly) excellent delivery my whole life.

    Nice to hear that Post Maroc was improving over time, as that does not seem typical for most post offices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I have the opposite impression: that the mail service in Spain works far worse than seven years ago (when I left). It's, in some aspects, far worse than during my last months in Morocco!

      When I wrote this post, I was thinking about the matter. How would I live without mail? I guess I would keep writing, and I would send a big bag of letters, all together, when visiting another place! But... what about receiving mail? :|

      Delete
    2. You would have to rely on visitors from other countries with mail service to deliver it to you.

      Delete
    3. That would be really snail mail... :)

      Delete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.