14 July 2019

Women on Stamps | U for University Women

This stamp was issued in 1955 in Syria to commemorate the Foundation of the University of Damascus, the largest and oldest in Syria. It features two unknown women on the front and the buildings of the university on the background. It was released in five different colours, corresponding to five postage rates.

----------

For the current round of Sunday Stamps A-Z I am showing stamps dedicated to women. You can see here all the Women on Stamps featured on this blog.

Go to Sunday Stamps to enjoy more U-stamps.

10 comments:

  1. It 's a beautiful stamp and a great theme!
    And amazing, concerning the imago of middle-east countries through western/northern eyes: I think in the Netherlands in 1955 only a few women went to university. In the Netherlands it was until in the 50ies that women who worked in public jobs (teachers, other employees) had to quit their job when they got married - even when they wouldn't have children..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we have a biased image of some countries... One of my teachers of Arabic was from Syria, and she used to tell us how she always wore mini-skirt to go to the university... Which her daughters didn't do! :|

      Delete
  2. Looks so peaceful, the pursuit of knowledge rather than war is our only hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there were times when the Arab world was far ahead of the 'western' world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having lived six years in an Arabic country, I can confirm that point.

      Delete
  4. A timely reminder that West wasn't always best. A stamp that surprised me and totally different to my middle east experience in the 1980s.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful 'classic' stamp. And very progressive to have women on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a teacher from Syria, and she told me that things were very different for women when she was a student in Damascus (in the 70s): all girls wear mini-skirts in the University, for a start!

      Delete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.