19 May 2020

Hopper Paintings


Apartment Houses, 1923

I still think that Edward Hopper paintings are good illustrations for these times...

This postcard arrived on 7 May, along with stamps featuring another of Hopper's works:

Sea at Ogunquit, 1914
This stamp celebrates the 200th anniversary of Maine statehood. Nicknamed the Pine Tree State, Maine became the 23rd state in the Union on Mar. 15, 1820. Edward Hopper (1882-1967) was among the many prominent artists who sought the tranquillity of the state’s coastal towns during the summer. His painting Sea at Ogunquit (1914) captures the rugged beauty characteristic of Maine. Derry Noyes designed the stamp.

It was issued on 15 March, with a wonderful pictorial postmark:


And it arrived very well protected!



Sent by Bryon and Phillip (the USA).

4 comments:

  1. The post office applied this postmark really nicely.

    I agree that Hopper's work is apt for the current times. I wonder if there'll be a new 'Hopper' - someone who captures the COVID times the way Hopper captured the depression.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the cancellation is perfect.

      Maybe we need to wait a bit for that artist. Or maybe (s)he is out there and we aren't aware...

      Delete
  2. I didn't realize the stamp's painting was made by Hopper! I always thought he painted interiors and buildings (the white lighthouse), with most of the time at least one person in it. A nature landscape / sea view by Hopper is new to me, though it is obviously his painting style. Thank you for bringing me new knowledge, Eva, and thanks to Phillip for the stamps :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know either. Bryon told me! ;)

      Delete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.